1932 - Dr. Rudolph Blüthner-Haessler takes over the Company
The merchant and lawyer Dr. Rudolph Blüthner-Haessler took over the reigns of the company. His was the difficult task of guiding the company through the Second World War.
1936 - The Airship "Hindenberg"
In 1935/36 the German leaders selected Blüthner, well-known as a particularly innovative company, for a special task. The specification was to build an extremely lightweight grand piano for the airship Hindenberg. And so the first Blüthner crossed the Atlantic Ocean in an aircraft where, to the astonishment of the world, it was used for the first piano concert in the air. That performance was broadcast live by 63 radio stations around the world.
This instrument was of course a technical sensation. To reduce the weight as necessary, the frame was cast from a special aluminum alloy; the outer rim was in sheet metal covered with parchment, the legs and lyre were made of metal tubes.
Everyone was surprised by this technical achievement. It remained, however, a unique instrument as airships proved to be too insecure for travel.
1943 - Destruction of the Factory
With the responsibility to continue to build the enterprise according to the traditional Blüthner philosophy, it was with a heavy heart that Dr. Blüthner-Haessler was to see the family's company completely destroyed by fire during an air raid in December of 1943. Totally burnt out, nothing was left apart from the walls.
The inspector Schimpfermann, called in the night and reported to Dr. Blüthner the disaster, "The firm is ablaze." It was impossible to save anything, the heavy machinery and the unfinished instruments crashed through the ceilings. One could only stand by and watch how the work of three generations was destroyed within a few hours. Little could be saved and preserved.
1945 - Rebuilding the Company
After the war, many friends and customers encouraged the family to rebuild the company. With determination and a strong vision for the future, Dr. Rudolph Blüthner-Haessler restructured the company and, despite conflicts with the German leaders, undertook the monumental task of rebuilding the company to an international standard. It was in 1948 that instruments could finally leave the factory again. The company supplied famous conservatories in Moscow and the Leningrad Conservatory (as it was known at that time), whose outstanding pianists demonstrated the prevailing quality of the instruments.
The occupation of the Soviet Union and later the communist economy did little to help private enterprise. Therefore the chances to regain the former market position were difficult. Dr. Rudolf Blüthner-Haessler always claimed that the communist regime would not last long but his prediction only came true 40 years later.
1953 - Centenary
The difficult start was made and the production had normalized. Demand had again grown considerably and far exceeded production.
There was reason to celebrate. Many well-wishing friends sent their congratulations, among them well-known pianists, composers and conductors as well as personalities of the public and cultural life.
Igor Markevitsch, conductor of the Paris Philharmonic wrote "Blüthner pianos are made of a quality that can rarely be found".
Franz Konwitschny, conductor of the Leipzig Gewandhaus congratulated, "artists from all over the world know what they owe to Blüthner, and have chosen the instrument for life".