1910 - Max, Robert and Bruno Blüthner Join the Company
During this time of rapid growth, it was important for Julius Blüthner to keep the company structured as a family business and this attitude continued even after his death in 1910.
Of his eight children (4 girls and 4 boys), as was the custom of the time, his sons took on responsible positions in the company.
Julius Blüthner was a strict teacher. All his sons were required to learn the business in detail and gain a thorough understanding of the entire production process. The stern father made sure that his sons got a sound education in piano making respecting their individual interests. Dr. Robert Blüthner, having studied law, went into the commercial side of the business. Max and Bruno gained sound knowledge in going through the different stages of production. Later Bruno was sent to the United States to work for a while with Chickering. When back he was in charge of the construction and further improvement of instruments.
On the 1st of July 1892, Max Blüthner started as a partner in the enterprise. Like his brothers Bruno and Robert, he learned the craft of piano building and then honed his skills in London and Paris. Soon Max became the successor to his father. His major task was the management of the technical side of the production process. Step by step, the responsibility for production and global business rested on the shoulders of Max and his brothers Robert and Bruno.
Being raised with the constant passion to improve the instruments and having inherited the perfectionistic element of character from their father, they continued to manufacture to the highest standards. The quality of the instruments became an example for a generation of piano makers.
Now, as Julius Blüthner had wished, all aspects of the business were being handed down to successive generations of the Blüthner family. The advantages of a family business became clear during and after the 1st World War and also during the economic crisis in 1929.
1928 - 75 Years of Blüthner
In those days of economic turmoil, 75 years of continuity gave reason to celebrate the jubilee. A commemorative catalogue and a specially designed instrument, later on purchased by the Sultan of Burma were produced for this occasion.
Blüthner was now at home on all continents. The pianos were required on concert platforms and were a symbol of musical culture standing for beauty and sensitivity of tone. Richard Strauss wrote about Blüthner, "Blüthner is perfection. The lyrical tone is comparable to the human voice and must be the inspiration of every composer. Blüthner is the origin of my ideas."
1929 - The First Edition of the 'Blüthner Freund'
This informative journal published about three times a year was much appreciated by music lovers and admirers of Blüthner. It contained news about concert life and interesting information about the factory.
In the 'Blüthner Freund' one could also read reports from the extensive travels of Dr. Robert Blüthner to South America or experiences from well-known artists such as Alexander Borowsky in Medan, Sumatra. Here Borowsky found a Blüthner that had been doused by one of the daily downpours of rain. It took the piano technician some time to repair the damage and the concert had to start thirty minutes late. It was, however, a great success and no offence was taken by the audience for the late start.