1854 - The First Styled Instruments
Right after completing the first instruments, he took part in exhibitions to show his instruments to the public They received great acclaim for being serious concert instruments as well as for their ornate case styles.
The instruments were decorated with unusual veneers, mother of pearl and gold leaf.
1862 - The Fair in Merseburg
The exhibition of his instruments at the Fair in Merseburg, was the first step into the international markets.
The appointment as purveyors to the court of Queen Victoria, the Russian Tsar Nicolas II, the Danish King, the German Emperor, the Turkish Sultan and certainly to the King of Saxony, underlines the approval bestowed on Blüthner instruments by the nobility.
Motivated by his success, Julius Blüthner started, in 1868, to build an international sales and distribution network that soon spanned the world, and still flourishes today.
He used his participation at the trade fairs and exhibitions in Amsterdam, Brussels, Melbourne, Paris, Philadelphia, Sydney and Vienna to show and present his newest instruments and innovations. The pianos received great acclaim for being serious concert instruments.
All first prizes, gold medals and any decorations obtained subsequently in the history of the firm are still listed on the soundboard of every Blüthner instrument.
1872 - The Patented Aliquot System
Generations of piano makers have been constantly attempting to improve the quality of their instruments. Julius Blüthner made an important contribution with the development of the Aliquot System. It was one more step that provided Blüthner's well known warm and romantic sound.
1876 - First Establishment in England
Julius Blüthner soon understood the importance of export for his enterprise. Since the United Kingdom of Great Britain was an important export market for German instruments he founded his own representation in London which, although now a subsidiary of the Leipzig firm, still exists today.
The ever mounting demand encouraged him to increase his production facilities. So in 1876 the factory was enlarged.
Proudly, Julius Blüthner writes in articles of various newspapers about the many different machines he is using in his factory.
A central steam engine propelled the different machines by means of leather strips. Very strict rules of safety were already being enforced in the factory to avoid accidents.
1878 - Opening the Concert Hall
From very early on, Blüthner had displayed his instruments in lavish surroundings. However, the first premises became too small as a showroom.
In 1878 a concert hall was built at the headquarters of the company in West Straße, Leipzig, where pianos could be displayed in ornate and opulent surroundings. The opening of this hall stunned the Leipzig people and was, according to the daily newspaper, the subject of discussion for many days. It served from thereon as a concert center having famous pianists such as Franz Liszt, Moritz Rosenthal and young artists from the Leipzig conservatory performing there.